HD Cable Box runs Hot
Mike
2006-01-23 03:51:15 UTC
Hi Everyone:

I recently upgraded to Comcast's HDTV service, and got a new cable box in
the process. This box runs really hot, even in standby mode. I have my
gear in an enclosed entertainment center, and I am concerned that the
excess heat will affect the other components, not to mention the Comcast
box itself.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal?

TIA,
Mike
http dr
2006-01-23 03:59:16 UTC
Post by Mike
I recently upgraded to Comcast's HDTV service, and got a new cable box in
the process. This box runs really hot, even in standby mode. I have my
gear in an enclosed entertainment center, and I am concerned that the
excess heat will affect the other components, not to mention the Comcast
box itself.
Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal?
TIA,
Mike
Note: By the book those boxes need 2in space on both sides and above.
it can get hot.

It would be hard for someone to define "really hot" as you describe.
However, if it is also enclosed it's probably just sufficating. I would
recommend that you keep it well ventilated.
Bob H
2006-01-23 07:24:14 UTC
Since I live in Spokane, I am serviced by the same Comcast call center you
are....I would suggest you call in, tell them the modem is not working (they
don't ask a lot of questions) tell them you want the Ambit or Moto.
Changing from the Moto. to the ambit doubled my speed, I have no experience
with the RCA.....there seems to be a great number of people here who prefer
to buy their modem, that might be a route for you to go as well to insure
you get the modem you want.
Mike
Bob H
Mike
Dan
2006-01-23 08:13:58 UTC
Post by Bob H
Oops, I shouldn't post late when I am tired :-) this message was intended
for the thread "new subscriber with box questions" sorry for any confusion.
Bob-can you elaborate on the "Ambit"? Do you have a model number? I'm
assuming by "moto" you mean "motorola", is "ambit" short for something?

TIA

Dan
Bob H
Dan
Bob H
2006-01-23 07:27:55 UTC
Same problem here, that sucker gets hot, I had one fry on me and completly
lock up, with the second one, the Comcast guy did some "stuff" and took me
into the core type settings to show me it was running @ 110, he said that
was a "little hot" but not bad, I had mine in a enclosed unit, I now have it
on top of my HDTV (rear projection) for fear that much heat would damage the
rest of my stuff.
Mike
onlyadad
2006-01-23 18:19:26 UTC
Yes, I had mine in an enclosed entertainment unit. When the 1st one
fried, the Comcast Tech told me that the boxes were known for running
hot, and asked me to remove the rear portion (that cheap looking
backing) of the entertainment center to allow the box to breathe better.
When that box fried a few months later, he recommended we keep the unit
on the top, plenty of room around the vents for it to breathe. So far,
this one has lasted longer than either of the other two.

John
Mike
Anthony Marsh
2006-01-23 23:52:34 UTC
Post by Mike
I recently upgraded to Comcast's HDTV service, and got a new cable box in
the process. This box runs really hot, even in standby mode. I have my
gear in an enclosed entertainment center, and I am concerned that the
excess heat will affect the other components, not to mention the Comcast
box itself.
Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal?
TIA,
Mike
But look on the bright side. You don't have to go out and buy a
toaster/oven just to heat up your bagels!
DW
2006-01-24 13:06:59 UTC
Post by Mike
I recently upgraded to Comcast's HDTV service, and got a new cable box in
the process. This box runs really hot, even in standby mode. I have my
gear in an enclosed entertainment center, and I am concerned that the
excess heat will affect the other components, not to mention the Comcast
box itself.
Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal?
TIA,
Mike
If it's the Motorola box then yes they DO run very hot! Best thing to
do is put it in a place were it will be able to breathe as much as possible.
http dr
2006-01-24 18:36:16 UTC
Post by DW
Post by Mike
I recently upgraded to Comcast's HDTV service, and got a new cable box
in the process. This box runs really hot, even in standby mode. I
have my gear in an enclosed entertainment center, and I am concerned
that the excess heat will affect the other components, not to mention
the Comcast box itself.
Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal?
TIA,
Mike
If it's the Motorola box then yes they DO run very hot! Best thing to
do is put it in a place were it will be able to breathe as much as possible.
so in other words, when you want to use it, you'll just have to
continuously blow on it until you're blue in the face.
DW

Mike
2006-01-27 15:54:26 UTC
Mike <***@home.com> wrote in news:***@216.196.97.136:

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It is the Moto box, and from my
experience it should just run cooler when it's in standby. I have it as
the top box in the stack, so I'll just have to see how long it lasts.

Thanks again, everyone!

Mike