McAfee Security Suite from Comcast
L Green
2008-05-03 17:45:33 UTC
I bought a new, top of the line HP desktop (with Windows Vista) a couple
months ago which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security. My
trial has run out and I need to either renew it at $49.99 for a year or I
could go with the McAfee Security Suite provided free to Comcast HSO users.
I've heard some bad things about McAfee, specifically that it is a system
resource hog and that it has some compatibility issues. I've had no
problems with Norton Internet Security and would be willing to pay to renew
it if the McAfee Security Suite provided free from Comcast is indeed
problematic.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
Cubit
2008-05-03 20:58:52 UTC
Post by L Green
I bought a new, top of the line HP desktop (with Windows Vista) a couple
months ago which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security. My
trial has run out and I need to either renew it at $49.99 for a year or I
could go with the McAfee Security Suite provided free to Comcast HSO users.
I've heard some bad things about McAfee, specifically that it is a system
resource hog and that it has some compatibility issues. I've had no
problems with Norton Internet Security and would be willing to pay to renew
it if the McAfee Security Suite provided free from Comcast is indeed
problematic.
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I buy Norton anti-virus from ebay vendors. It is much cheaper than your
renewal. Make sure you check the seller's feedback comments and make sure
the seller indicates that the product is new and unused.

Norton used to be a resource hog a few years back, too. However, the current
version works fine.

Installing software from an ISP is generally a mistake.
Bob
2008-05-03 22:14:57 UTC
I don't have any problems with it...
Frank
2008-05-03 21:27:38 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by L Green
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I don't have any problems with it...
Me neither but it can be a pain when it does weekly scan. Better now
that I added more memory to my and wife's computers.
rqk
2008-05-03 21:55:36 UTC
Post by L Green
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help
me make this decision? Thanks in advance.

McAfee Security Suite will sometime crash on start up for me and trigger
the "do you want to send this report to Microsoft" message (running
Windows XP.) It seams to recover fine with no problems to it or the
system. It happens maybe 1 in 10 times of turning on the computer.

It seams to work ok. It has a bad non-standard interface, but if you dig
you can find things to tweak to your liking.
stonej
2008-05-07 01:34:33 UTC
I had to get rid of McAfee because it kept causing problems with my
sons film editing software.
catpandaddy
2008-05-07 17:29:10 UTC
Post by stonej
I had to get rid of McAfee because it kept causing problems with my
sons film editing software.
Was the film about bacteria by any chance?

Because bacteria and "viruses" are... you see they...... okay, I got
nothing.
g***@rr.com
2008-05-03 22:33:39 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by L Green
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I don't have any problems with it...
I run the free version of Comcast McAfee on 3 computers with no
issues, but all have 2 gigs of RAM.

I run the free version of Scottrade's McAfee on one other computer and
I can see no difference other than Scottrade shows it will expire
after a year, Comcast shows no expiration date!!
Ben Skversky
2008-05-16 00:32:04 UTC
I don't have any problems either.
Keith H
2008-05-16 14:35:16 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by L Green
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I don't have any problems with it...
several days ago I replaced McAfee on my mother's WinXP machine with
Avast A/V and Comodo's free firewall.. since then she's been thanking
me for giving her a "new" computer..

for some reason removing McAfee reduced boot time from 3+ minutes to
under a minute.. hell Internet Exploder caused over a minute of drive
thrashing before starting..

you would think XP on a 2.4ghz P4 + 2GB ram would have enough resources
to handle it.. apparently not since removing only McAfee made the
machine so much more responsive..

Kristin
2008-05-03 23:46:54 UTC
Post by L Green
I bought a new, top of the line HP desktop (with Windows Vista) a couple
months ago which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security.
My trial has run out and I need to either renew it at $49.99 for a year
or I could go with the McAfee Security Suite provided free to Comcast
HSO users. I've heard some bad things about McAfee, specifically that it
is a system resource hog and that it has some compatibility issues.
I've had no problems with Norton Internet Security and would be willing
to pay to renew it if the McAfee Security Suite provided free from
Comcast is indeed problematic.
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I only run the virus scanner, and NOT the whole suite. I've had no
problems. But, the interface is confusing. I wouldn't use it if I had
to buy it, though, because there are very good, free virus scanners out
there, such as Avast.
Dave Bethke
2008-05-04 00:10:58 UTC
Post by L Green
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I have no problems with it on four machines. Only use the anti-virus and
firewall.
Fantine
2008-05-04 02:53:28 UTC
I run it on two computers without problem. But I wonder if you will have
trouble installing it on a PC that once used Norton. I think you have to
really work to remove Norton from deep in the Registry. Norton and McAfee
are definitely not on speaking terms.
MS
2008-05-04 14:09:32 UTC
Post by L Green
I bought a new, top of the line HP desktop (with Windows Vista) a couple
months ago which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security. My
trial has run out and I need to either renew it at $49.99 for a year or I
could go with the McAfee Security Suite provided free to Comcast HSO users.
I've heard some bad things about McAfee, specifically that it is a system
resource hog and that it has some compatibility issues. I've had no
problems with Norton Internet Security and would be willing to pay to renew
it if the McAfee Security Suite provided free from Comcast is indeed
problematic.
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
You'll have to go to the Norton web site and download complicated
instructions on how to remove every trace of Norton before any
competitor will work. The standard removal program doesn't remove
deeply enough.
L Green
2008-05-04 15:30:14 UTC
Post by Fantine
I run it on two computers without problem. But I wonder if you will have
trouble installing it on a PC that once used Norton. I think you have to
really work to remove Norton from deep in the Registry. Norton and McAfee
are definitely not on speaking terms.
In other words, Norton is trying to force me to use their security software
by embedding itself deep in my system and making it very difficult for a
competitor's application to work. That sucks. I thought software
developers agreed to stop doing this crap years ago.
Frank
2008-05-04 16:08:32 UTC
Post by L Green
Post by Fantine
I run it on two computers without problem. But I wonder if you will
have trouble installing it on a PC that once used Norton. I think you
have to really work to remove Norton from deep in the Registry.
Norton and McAfee are definitely not on speaking terms.
In other words, Norton is trying to force me to use their security
software by embedding itself deep in my system and making it very
difficult for a competitor's application to work. That sucks. I
thought software developers agreed to stop doing this crap years ago.
McAfee may be no better. When I bought this computer and before signing
up with Comcast I had a free 3 month copy of McAfee. When I signed on
with Comcast a month later and signed up for free McAfee, I kept getting
McAfee expiration notices. Took dialog with McAfee and I had to
remove everything and start from scratch with McAfee.

I had Norton on old computers and it was also a PITA about renewals. If
you renewed 2 months early, you lost 2 months subscription. Also I was
on dial up and had downloaded a renewal copy which took a long time. I
tried to contact Norton to pay to put on 2 computers and they could not
arrange it so rather than put up with another long download, I bought a
copy at the store.
Bill
2008-05-13 02:44:09 UTC
Post by L Green
Post by Fantine
I run it on two computers without problem. But I wonder if you will have
trouble installing it on a PC that once used Norton. I think you have to
really work to remove Norton from deep in the Registry. Norton and McAfee
are definitely not on speaking terms.
In other words, Norton is trying to force me to use their security software
by embedding itself deep in my system and making it very difficult for a
competitor's application to work. That sucks. I thought software
developers agreed to stop doing this crap years ago.
I hate to brush aside a good conspiracy theory, but it seems more
likely to me that they're just trying to make it a little less easy
for every tom dick and harry piece of malware that comes along to
disable their so-called 'protection'.
Bill
NC
2008-05-04 17:31:00 UTC
Post by L Green
I bought a new, top of the line HP desktop (with Windows Vista) a couple
months ago which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security. My
trial has run out and I need to either renew it at $49.99 for a year or I
could go with the McAfee Security Suite provided free to Comcast HSO
users. I've heard some bad things about McAfee, specifically that it is a
system resource hog and that it has some compatibility issues. I've had
no problems with Norton Internet Security and would be willing to pay to
renew it if the McAfee Security Suite provided free from Comcast is indeed
problematic.
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I removed all of Norton with the help from the Symantec site and then
installed McAfee. Seems to be working with no problems. But if you just want
an antivirus, AVG or Avast make fine free software.
davey
2008-05-06 17:14:12 UTC
Post by NC
I removed all of Norton with the help from the Symantec site and then
installed McAfee. Seems to be working with no problems. But if you just
want an antivirus, AVG or Avast make fine free software.
NC, do you (or anyone else) have a link to the Symantec web page that
provides these instructions for removing all of Norton from one's PC. I
looked but am not finding anything. Thanks.
Bob
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
Betts
2008-05-06 17:24:41 UTC
Post by davey
Post by NC
I removed all of Norton with the help from the Symantec site and then
installed McAfee. Seems to be working with no problems. But if you
just want an antivirus, AVG or Avast make fine free software.
NC, do you (or anyone else) have a link to the Symantec web page that
provides these instructions for removing all of Norton from one's PC.
I looked but am not finding anything. Thanks.
Detailed instructions:

http://pc1stop.com/PCHealth.html#norton

Betty
NormanM
2008-05-04 04:47:36 UTC
Post by L Green
I bought a new, top of the line HP desktop (with Windows Vista) a couple
months ago which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security.
I ripped Norton off of every HP Pavilion I have set up in the last two and a
half years. Norton is junk.
Post by L Green
My trial has run out and I need to either renew it at $49.99 for a year or I
could go with the McAfee Security Suite provided free to Comcast...
McAfee came with an older HP Pavilion I have; I gave it a try, but it was
the equal of Norton as junk.
Post by L Green
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help me
make this decision?
I get my security products "a la carte". AVG for anti virus, the native
Windows firewall, and a NAT router. The native pop-up blockers included in
the browsers (MS Internet Explorer 7 work surprisingly well, if you rip out
the Google, or Yahoo! toolbar first, which HP so helpfully includes. Google
on the older Win XP machines, Yahoo! on the newer Win Vista machines). Opera
also includes effective pop-up blockers. Firefox 2.x requires add-ons. I
have not tried Fx 3.x. Yet.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
2008-05-04 05:00:27 UTC
Post by L Green
I bought a new, top of the line HP desktop (with Windows Vista) a
couple months ago which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet
Security. My trial has run out and I need to either renew it at
$49.99 for a year or I could go with the McAfee Security Suite
provided free to Comcast HSO users. I've heard some bad things about
McAfee, specifically that it is a system resource hog and that it has
some compatibility issues. I've had no problems with Norton Internet
Security and would be willing to pay to renew it if the McAfee
Security Suite provided free from Comcast is indeed problematic.
Does anyone have any feedback regarding McAfee Security Suite to help
me make this decision? Thanks in advance.
I use McAfee Virus Scan, but not the entire suite. It works fine, and it
doesn't bog my system down like if you used the entire suite.

For malware, and since you're running Vista, you could try Windows
Defender for Vista:

http://tinyurl.com/3qne3b

I haven't tried it yet, but I may.
L Green
2008-05-04 15:23:51 UTC
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.

By the way, is the free, Comcast provided security software called "McAfee
Internet Security Suite 2008"? That seems to be the most current version of
McAfee's security suite.
http://security.comcast.net/
James E.Watson
2008-05-05 04:33:03 UTC
I dislike McAfee & Norton both. I use Avast. A friend called me and asked
for help with both of their computers, one had Norton the other had McAfee.
I ran complete scans with both of them & found nothing. I removed Norton &
McAfee & installed Avast & found 45 viruses and malware on her computer & 23
on his. Norton & McAfee didn't pick up any of them. By the way both
computers are running fine now.
Post by
http://security.comcast.net/
NormanM
2008-05-05 12:01:25 UTC
Post by James E.Watson
I dislike McAfee & Norton both. I use Avast. A friend called me and asked
for help with both of their computers, one had Norton the other had McAfee.
I ran complete scans with both of them & found nothing. I removed Norton &
McAfee & installed Avast & found 45 viruses and malware on her computer & 23
on his. Norton & McAfee didn't pick up any of them. By the way both
computers are running fine now.
Although I also dislike both, the fact is, if McAfee and Norton failed to
find viruses that Avast found, the odds are that McAfee and Norton were not
current on definitions when the infections occurred. Viruses have a nasty
habit of interfering with the operation of AV programs, if they can get
installed. So, once a computer is infected, it can play havoc with resident
AV on that computer.

I have watched a friend who paid for Norton, and has a dial-up connection.
Sometimes she would get lazy if the Norton update was going to take a while.
That said, after she suffered and infection, she got better about keeping
the AV definitions current. I have her on AVG, now; easier to manage the
updates than having to remember if one has paid Symantec, or not...
L Green
2008-05-05 14:54:57 UTC
Post by
Post by L Green
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.
By the way, is the free, Comcast provided security software called
"McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008"? That seems to be the most
current version of McAfee's security suite.
http://security.comcast.net/
I did previously check out the web page you linked above, but I could not
find the version number anywhere of the McAfee software provided by Comcast.
I was just asking if somebody who had already installed this could tell me
what version was being provided. I assume/hope it is the most recent
version (2008) but just wanted to confirm this. Thanks.
FurPaw
2008-05-05 19:51:09 UTC
Post by L Green
I did previously check out the web page you linked above, but I could
not find the version number anywhere of the McAfee software provided by
Comcast. I was just asking if somebody who had already installed this
could tell me what version was being provided. I assume/hope it is the
most recent version (2008) but just wanted to confirm this. Thanks.
On the home, basic screen of the McAfee/Comcast security
application, at the bottom of the screen you'll see
"SecurityCenter Information". Click on View Details. This is
what I get:
Version: 7.2
Build: 7.2.151
Language: en-us
Last Update: 4/21/2008

I have no information about how it relates to the off-the-shelf
McAfee product.

FurPaw
--
The plural of anecdote is not proof.

To reply, unleash the dogs
Bob
2008-05-05 21:19:16 UTC
Post by L Green
Post by
Post by L Green
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.
By the way, is the free, Comcast provided security software called
"McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008"? That seems to be the most
current version of McAfee's security suite.
http://security.comcast.net/
I did previously check out the web page you linked above, but I could not
find the version number anywhere of the McAfee software provided by Comcast.
I was just asking if somebody who had already installed this could tell me
what version was being provided. I assume/hope it is the most recent
version (2008) but just wanted to confirm this. Thanks.
Security Center
Version 7.2
Last Update 4/21/08

Virus Scan