McAfee Antivirus question
FurPaw
2006-04-08 04:45:26 UTC
I just installed the free McAfee Antivirus off the Comcast site.
My question is, where is the activity log and how do I access
it? I'd like to see confirmation that it runs at the scheduled
time and that it has downloaded the most recent anti-virus data file.

Thanks!

(Apologies if this questions has been asked repeatedly.)

FurPaw
--
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Isaac Asimov, _Foundation_

To reply, unleash the dog
KCB
2006-04-08 05:04:54 UTC
I just installed the free McAfee Antivirus off the Comcast site. My
question is, where is the activity log and how do I access it? I'd
like to see confirmation that it runs at the scheduled time and that it
has downloaded the most recent anti-virus data file.
Thanks!
(Apologies if this questions has been asked repeatedly.)
Double-click the icon in your system tray to open up McAfee
securitycenter. Click on the virusscan icon on the left side of that.
Next, click Scan My Computer. This brings up options for the scan but
also shows in the lower right corner the date of the last scan, how many
files were scanned, and how many detections were made. Cancel that
screen then click See VirusScan Details. This will tell you the build,
versions, and DAT file date.
FurPaw
2006-04-08 19:24:15 UTC
Post by KCB
I just installed the free McAfee Antivirus off the Comcast site. My
question is, where is the activity log and how do I access it? I'd
like to see confirmation that it runs at the scheduled time and that it
has downloaded the most recent anti-virus data file.
Thanks!
(Apologies if this questions has been asked repeatedly.)
Double-click the icon in your system tray to open up McAfee
securitycenter. Click on the virusscan icon on the left side of that.
Next, click Scan My Computer. This brings up options for the scan but
also shows in the lower right corner the date of the last scan, how many
files were scanned, and how many detections were made. Cancel that
screen then click See VirusScan Details. This will tell you the build,
versions, and DAT file date.
Thanks for the quick response! This is just what I needed to
know. I guess I should have done a manual scan first, and then I
would have seen this, but I went straight to automatic.

FurPaw

To reply, unleash the dog
Dr Feelgood
2006-04-08 05:42:13 UTC
I just installed the free McAfee Antivirus off the Comcast site. My
question is, where is the activity log and how do I access it? I'd
like to see confirmation that it runs at the scheduled time and that it
has downloaded the most recent anti-virus data file.
Thanks!
(Apologies if this questions has been asked repeatedly.)
FurPaw
--
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Isaac Asimov, _Foundation_
To reply, unleash the dog
I see KCB has answered most of your questions.

If you have the default settings Mcafee will be running at all times and
you will have a red "M" on your system tray if you are running a windows
system. Properly configured Mcafee will keep itself updated. sometimes
you will get more than one updated dat file in a single day. It will
update every time a new dat file is issued. If you turn off your
computer for extended periods you can also check for and update
manually. Right click on the McAfee icon and select update to do so.
There is a log file you can view in your mcafee folder should you want
or need to for any reason.
FurPaw
2006-04-08 19:24:55 UTC
Post by Dr Feelgood
I see KCB has answered most of your questions.
If you have the default settings Mcafee will be running at all times and
you will have a red "M" on your system tray if you are running a windows
system. Properly configured Mcafee will keep itself updated. sometimes
you will get more than one updated dat file in a single day. It will
update every time a new dat file is issued. If you turn off your
computer for extended periods you can also check for and update
manually. Right click on the McAfee icon and select update to do so.
There is a log file you can view in your mcafee folder should you want
or need to for any reason.
Thanks for the quick response! Good information.

FurPaw

To reply, unleash the dog
Keith Ellis